Domestic Violence

Edison Domestic Violence Attorney

shutterstock_93078454Protecting New Jersey clients facing violence in the home

Domestic violence continues to be an ongoing issue in our country. Too many people have felt the effects of domestic violence in some way. Whether that is because they were the focus of the violence or saw what it did to a friend or loved one, domestic violence is a serious issue that impacts many people. When someone crosses the line, the victim of the violence should consider their legal options and protect themselves immediately. New Jersey has several laws in place to protect victims of domestic violence. Through these laws, a person can separate themselves from the perpetrator while holding them accountable for their actions. The Law Office of Omar K. Qadeer, PC has represented countless victims of domestic violence and helped them reach a new and better life. We understand the fear and uncertainty of abuse. Our compassionate law firm is here to guide you through your legal matter. It is imperative that you take the steps to protect yourself. Allow the Law Office of Omar K. Qadeer, PC to be your advocate and ease you out of a terrible situation.

Obtaining a restraining order

In order to stop the ongoing impact of domestic violence, The New Jersey Prevention of Domestic Violence Act offers victims of violence in the home a way to protect themselves and hold the offender accountable for their illegal actions through criminal and civil relief. If you are the victim of domestic violence, contact your local court during business hours or your local police department at any time. They will issue a temporary restraining order immediately. A temporary restraining order (TRO) is a kind of civil relief that limits the proximity and contact with the violent party. This is the first step in protecting yourself. The TRO will allow you some space while you consider your legal options, including seeking criminal relief. New Jersey will issue restraining orders to most people that request it for reasons, including:

  • Physical assault
  • Mental abuse
  • Harassment
  • Terroristic threats

After the TRO is issued, the court will hear the case quickly in order to decide if the TRO should become permanent. When a restraining order is in effect, there is no counseling or mediation to relieve the situation.

Should I seek criminal charges?

You are allowed to seek a restraining order, file criminal charges, or both. The choice is yours to make. If you are the victim of domestic violence and would like to file criminal charges, you need to file a Criminal Complaint. If there are signs of physical abuse, a police office will most likely document the injuries when issuing the TRO later to be used in the Criminal Complaint. You have the option to file criminal charges at the court where you live, the other party lives, where the incident occurred, or where you are being sheltered. When it comes to navigating these legal issues, it is important to have a skilled and knowledgeable attorney to fight for you.

Contact a law firm ready to fight for your future

The Law Office of Omar K. Qadeer, PC has helped countless victims of domestic violence move on to a better life. Domestic violence can devastate a family and our firm will fight tirelessly to help victims of violence get out of a bad situation. Our compassionate staff understands how hard it may be to come forward and act in your best interests and we are ready to ease your stress and fight to ensure a better tomorrow.